Below are some helpful tips to follow while you are in different situations and environments.
On Dates / Social Settings
- Always let someone know where you are going to be. At all times.
- Don't leave your drink unattended.
- Get your own drink and open it yourself.
- Have your own ride home.
- Avoid secluded places.
- Avoid people who ignore your feelings or try to make decisions for you.
- Set limits for yourself.
- Be assertive and say what you want.
- Leave some lights on at home. Leave the porch light on if you are leaving home for the evening.
- Use the "peephole" when someone is at the door.
- Never open your door for people you do not know or know well.
- Never allow a stranger to enter when you are alone.
- Use deadbolt locks when home alone. Always keep doors locked.
- Use the buddy system. Try to walk as a group.
- Plan your route and walk confidently.
- Avoid alleys and other isolated spots.
- Be aware of who is around you.
- If you are being followed, go into a store or knock on a door for help.
In Your Car
- Have your keys out and ready when walking to your car, especially at night.
- Be aware of cars, trucks, vans parks in area or beside your vehicle.
- Check the back seat and underneath your car before getting in it.
- Keep your car doors locked, even when you are in it.
- If possible, carry a cell phone.
On Your Phone:
- If you receive an obscene phone call, hang up.
- Do not let anyone know that you are home by yourself.